Friday, April 30, 2010

Sweet Sleep in Haiti




This is a snippet from a blog I posted on Sweet Sleep's blog - www.sweetsleep.blogspot.com - Pictured are some sweet boys in their new beds!

I am on my second journey with Sweet Sleep in Haiti. I don't know why I thought I would be more prepared this time around. As I packed for the trip I even thought how much easier that process was this time because I knew what I needed and what to expect based on the last visit. But I was scared...I am scared, admittedly...of what God is showing me through this time. How do I pack for that?

One of the very first things we saw on this trip as we drove the streets was a "tap-tap" (a Haitian version of a taxi or trolley) with an interesting message on it. They are very brightly painted with words all over them, and in English it proudly proclaimed "Jesus was be here." We laughed and got a kick out of it - the same way these adorable Haitian children laugh at me when I totally botch their language in an attempt to communicate with them. We may not have all the words right, but there's always an important message underneath. That tap-tap now reminds me that Jesus was here, is here, and will always be here. However, that's too long to paint on a tap-tap, so "Jesus was be here" pretty much covers it.

We were able to take Sweet Sleep beds to a new orphanage. This particular orphanage is special to me because it houses 3 very special boys who have stolen my heart. I am so excited to be part of a team and ministry who supplies them with a new bed, sheets, and a bible. We had the opportunity to share God's love and give them a physical reminder of the rest, comfort, and covering that love brings...that "Jesus was be here" for them too! Thank you for praying and supporting our team and these incredible children.

No comments:

Post a Comment