Thursday, January 23, 2014

Breaking out of the Cage

When I started my practice over 4 years ago, I wanted some kind of tangible reminder in my office of what counseling was about for me. I decided on a birdcage.  One of my favorite songs by the Avett Brothers has a line that says, “There was a dream, and one day I could see it.  Like a bird in cage I broke in and demanded that somebody free it.”  The whole song is therapeutic in itself (go here for a download and see end of post for song credit*), but something about that line has always spoken to me about this work of counseling.  Sometimes my clients come in with no hope, strength, courage, or any fight left – trapped in a cage.   I open that cage with them and help them start the journey of getting out.  How/when did they get in the cage?  Who put them there?  What keeps them stuck in there?  What are the ongoing thoughts, feelings, and actions in that cage (or the “song” their bird sings)?  As more of this awareness comes to light, it is a gift for me to watch them grow and empower themselves to get out of their cage, fly free, and start singing a new song, which is why I named my practice New Song Counseling.    

A 7-year-old client who had suffered trauma and numerous critical messages asked me, “Ms. Laura, why do you have that birdcage in your office, but no bird in it?”  I said, “Because she is free to fly now, and so are you.” 

If you feel stuck and would like to know more about how counseling could help, please visit my website for more information or email me at laurarameylmft@gmail.com.  


*"Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise" written by Scott Avett and Seth Avett

No comments:

Post a Comment