Sunday, September 15, 2013

Tell the Story


As a little girl I remember singing the hymn in church, “I Love To Tell the Story.”  Stories are powerful.  There is much to gain in both the telling and hearing.  In the hymn it’s the story of Jesus and His love.  But other stories aren’t so joyful, are they?  When we hurt or grieve, others may get tired of hearing our “same old story,” and likewise we may get tired of telling it.  So why do we continue to tell it?  Recently I was telling my husband about a hurtful situation from my past, and he said to me, “I’ve heard you talk about this before.  Why do you continue to allow them to let you down?”  Valid question.  I’ve thought about that a lot.  Why do I keep telling the same story and feeling let down every time when the outcome never changes? 

From today’s reading of The Book of Awakening (Mark Nepo) it says, “Often we repeat stories, not because we are forgetful or indulgent, but because there is too much meaning to digest in one expression.  So we keep sharing the story that presses on our heart until we understand it all.”  (page 481).

This thought brought me so much comfort.  I’m not necessarily stuck in this past story – I’m just still making sense of it as it pertains to me today.  There is much still to learn in my story – in all our stories – and it is not always full of pain.  As our stories are honored there is much truth, clarity, and strength to be gained.  

What story replays in your mind or slips off your tongue frequently? What would it be like to just notice that story and not judge yourself for still telling it?  What new meaning lies in the story today?  Just as the old hymn proclaims the joy of knowing Jesus’ story and love each new day, what does this new day have to tell you about your own story? 

2 comments:

  1. Love the quote about digesting and sharing our stories, that's so true. Thank you for helping me tell my story, love you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. your photo is absolutely lovely... your sweet pup looks cuter than you, hate to break it to you :)

    ReplyDelete